Sunday, January 13, 2013

Howl's Moving Castle Cover

Howls Moving Castle cover

Recently, in my free time, I’ve been working on my own series of illustrations based off of the book Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.  If you haven’t read the book, I highly recommend it.  It’s one of my favorite books.

The piece above serves as my own title for the project. I want to work with type more than I have in the past and I figured this would be a good way to experiment with it. I don't really show a lot of process examples so I thought I would this time for this project.  Below I have some process sketches of how I came up with the composition:


 Howls Moving Castle Thumbnails

 Howls Moving Castle type sketches

I played around with some of the different type layouts.  These are just a few out of the many I did.  I also had a whole different section where I experimented with different type, but I thought if I included everything in this post, it would get to be a rather long blog entry.  Below I have some of the many different color options I played around with until I found the one I thought would fit best.

 Howls Moving Castle color options

No comments: