Monday, December 10, 2012

Howls Moving Castle Project

HowlandSophei1

So recently I've started a personal project for fun of illustrations based off of the novel Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.  I loved the book when I was younger and the beautiful Miyazaki adaptation as well, even if there are differences between the two. When I reread the book for this project, it only rekindled my love for the story! It really is perfect for all ages.

For those who haven't read the book, it's a fantasy novel about another world where fairy tale wizards and magic exist and where Sophie Hatter, eldest of three, believes she is destined to failure because she is the eldest daughter.  Sophie comes into contact with Howl, a believed to be evil womanizing wizard, yet doesn't know it until the Witch of the Waste becomes jealous and puts a spell on her that curses her to be an elderly woman. Sophie finds Howl's moving castle and makes a deal with the fire demon, Calcifer, inside that if she breaks the curse that binds the fire demon to Howl, the fire demon will break the curse put on her. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. 

I've made some character designs since my reading of it and decided to post them.  I also realized I made Sophie's walk a bit too bouncy for her old age in the sketch above. 

 Sophie

Fun fact: Sophie actually has reddish blonde hair in the book! I think I had seen the movie so many times that I forgot that little detail.  Also old Sophie is fun to draw.

Howl

Above is my character sketch for Howl.  I've been mapping out some of the illustrations I want to create and the weirdest thing that I've had a hard time keeping track of is what color Howl's hair is in certain scenes since it changes periodically. 

 Micheal

Here's my sketch for Micheal.  For some reason, his character was much younger in the movie.  He is both adorable in the book and movie. 

Calcifer

Calcifer is just awesome. I can't wait to play around with the colors for his character design.

 HowlandSophie2

Above is another quick concept doodle of Howl and young Sophie. Below I have some of the first few sketches I created while I reread the book to get down my initial ideas on each character while I was reading.  My next step is to perfect the moving castle!

 HMCcharacterdesign   HMCcharacterdesign3

 HMCcharacterdesign4   HMCcharacterdesign2

3 comments:

Janna Morton said...

This is looking really good, Kelly! I can't wait to see more! You've just reminded me that I've been meaning to read that book....
Everyone looks great, though I think you could exaggerate Sophie's old age even further. I love Calcifer's many teeth!

Kelly Leigh Miller said...

Thanks!! I may take your suggestion on making Sophie look even older!

Kelly Leigh Miller said...

I also forgot to mention the book is one of my favorites! You should totally read it!!