Thursday, May 10, 2012

Goodbye, Maurice Sendak

mauricesendak 

Illustration legend, Maurice Sendak recently passed away. He influenced many illustrators to this day, including myself.  He created many amazing works, but his most famous one was the children's book Where The Wild Things Are. Many artists from my generation grew up on this book and it influenced them in many different ways. Like most artists recently, I created tribute pieces for the man who inspired many young artists. 

I always tried to read interviews from him, not because he was enlightening in them, but because he was hilarious in them. Most of the time I don't think he meant to be funny.  He always had this "this is what I do and I don't care if you like it" kind of attitude that made interviews very interesting. Comedian newscaster, Stephen Colbert recently did an interview with him that was very entertaining. They are separated into two parts.  If you haven't seen it, I posted them here for you.  They are worth watching.

Colbert and Sendak: PART 1
Colbert and Sendak: PART 2

mauricesendak2

Goodbye, Maurice Sendak. You will be missed.

No comments: